Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mouth Injuries x 6

I need serious anxiety medicine! For some reason, my children cannot keep their mouths in one piece. We have had a very bad week of mouth injuries almost everyday. Let me remind you that when Trinity was 2-1/2 she almost knocked out her 2 front teeth by tripping on the baby's bouncy chair. She went face first into the hardwood floor which was not forgiving. Fortunately, they were saved. Six months later she gashed her upper gums with the screw from a croquet mallet she decided would to put in her mouth.
Since then she has been okay now I have the boys...

Several weeks ago Everett fell at the playground and busted his lip open. At the time I thought he bit his tongue off. Before rushing him to the ER I got one more look in his mouth and realized the blood was mixed up with a chewed up grape and he really just bit his lip.
Fast forward to last week when he slipped off the dining room chair and hit his chin on the table. His tongue was between his teeth and this time he had the potential of really biting off his tongue. He punctured it with one of his top teeth and made a nice hole in it. It took about 3 hours to stop bleeding completely.
Three days later he fell again and got a bloody lip. Next day same thing.
Sunday he had a chair fall on him and again, bloody lip.
Monday he flew off the swing and really bite into it.
Tuesday/Yesterday it was Reeve's turn. He was standing holding onto a little table at the kid's museum and fell back on his butt like he does all the time. This time he caught his upper lip on the table and ripped that little tissue piece that holds your gum to your top lip. (Let me interject that Trinity had torn that too when she was 4 and jumped off the couch onto her face.) It took about 5 hours to stop bleeding. I am sick!
Today was Everett's turn again. He was crawling into the car and I told him to get into his car seat. Instead of doing that he wanted to jump around the backseat where he wiped out and put a hole in the inside of his lip.
I pray to God everyday that my kids do not knock any teeth out and I have to pray daily for mouth protection.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that is very scary! I am glad you don't have a weak stomach!!

Casey H said...

Full time mom, part time nurse...GEEZ.

I think you should invest in mouth guards for all the kids. The boys might like looking like Wayne Gretzky :)

Jessica said...

I was in pain reading this.

SheWesty said...

argh! but if they do knock a tooth out, they (and you) will survive, too. hopefully they'll be like elynor and at least leave a good tooth mark somewhere for posterity. of course, i won't wish this one on you... :)